Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes

My boys finally tired of donuts every morning for breakfast.  Their next request was pancakes.  Luckily for them, I had a pancake recipe in mind to try out.  It is a lovely, fun twist on the grain free pumpkin pancakes.  These pancakes combine my love for all things pumpkin and all cinnamon rolls.

This recipe gave me an opportunity to try out a cinnamon roll filling using date paste.  And it was so easy!  In a true Lorelai Gilmore, "Who's cleaning that?" mindset, I simply put the date paste, cinnamon, and milk right into a plastic bag.  I sealed the bag closed then mashed away.  Once it was thoroughly mixed, I cut a hole in the corner and swirled away on top of the pancake batter.  See, no need to dirty up a bowl to make the cinnamon swirl concoction.

I found the time to try out various cooking methods for these pancakes.  Actually, when you have to make a new batch every few days, it's easy to find the time to try out new cooking methods.  I ladled the pancake onto both parchment paper and a silicone baking mat (they both worked fine).  Then I swirled the cinnamon mixture on top in a traditional cinnamon roll look.  I also poured all of the batter onto a jelly roll pan once.  From there, I zig-zagged the cinnamon mixture on top then took a knife and swirled the mixture in some more.  Like this:
I was all prepared to like the traditional circle pancakes from the ladle method the best, but the jelly roll pan option won out in my book.  I think swirling the cinnamon mixture in with the knife got it better incorporated throughout the dough.  Yummy!
Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
Serving Size:  4 Pancakes
Servings: 6  *  Calories: 187  *  Carbs: 24g  *  Fat: 5g  *   Protein: 8g  *  Fiber: 3g  *  Sugar: 16g

Pancake Ingredients:
6 eggs
1.5 tsp. cinnamon
1.5 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or more cinnamon)
2 tbs. vanilla extract
6 tbs. date paste
2 cups pumpkin puree
2 tbs. baking powder

Swirl Ingredients:
4 tbs. date paste
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbs. milk of choice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix all pancake ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into a greased 11 x 17 baking sheet. 
3. Mix swirl ingredients in a small bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and have fun piping the cinnamon swirl mixture onto the pancakes.  Swirl with a knife if desired. 
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F.
5. Cut into squares and enjoy hot or reheat the next day.

Notes: For round pancakes, bake the normal way on a stove or ladle batter onto a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet or a parchment lined baking sheet. Swirl the cinnamon swirl mixture on top of the pancakes. Then bake for 12-15 minutes at 350F.

No comments:

Post a Comment