Monday, December 8, 2014

Peanut Butter Mug Cake

It's challenge time again!  Who can go 5 days without sugar?  No sugar, honey, syrup, etc.  Just fruit if you need a sugar fix (like I usually need).  I know this can be rough at this time of year, but it is possible if you plan ahead and bring a sugar free snack.  If that is not possible, just enjoy the party!  But get back on the wagon the very next day.  The longer you go without sugar, the less you will crave it.

I've thought about the best ways to quit sugar a lot lately.  Cold turkey is certainly an option, but it can make you feel rather lethargic and grumpy for a day (or two or three).  When I quit drinking soda, I took it slowly.  I used to drink a Dr. Pepper every day with my lunch (which happens at 11 in my house).  So the first day of quitting, I wouldn't let myself have one until noon.  The next day, I pushed it back by an hour, so not until one.  If I could go longer than my set time, then awesome!  I actually found that I didn't need one on day 3 until dinner time.  I think this plan could really help with quitting sugar, too.  Just set a time, and push to or past that time before giving in to sugar. 

To help with this challenge, here is a new dessert and a story.

Sometimes I make waffles for my family for dinner.  And when I do, I usually need more egg whites than egg yolks.  I hate to waste things.  So I decided to make myself a little dessert using the leftover egg yolk.

This peanut butter mug cake is sweetened with just 1/2 a banana and applesauce.  I promise that you don't taste the banana thanks to the peanut flour.  I love that stuff!  It gives such a nice, strong peanut flavor to foods.

This recipe can easily be switched to a banana mug cake by replacing the peanut flour with a neutral tasting flour like all purpose or whole wheat.

Peanut Butter Mug Cake
Serving Size:  1 Cake
Servings: 1  *  Calories: 295  *  Carbs: 38g  *  Fat: 10g  *   Protein: 25g  *  Fiber: 7g  *  Sugar: 14g

Ingredients:
1/3 c. peanut flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1/2 ripe banana
2 tbs. unsweetened applesauce
1 tbs. buttermilk*
1 egg yolk**
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in a mug or small ramekin.
  2. Mash up banana and mix ingredients together until well blended.
  3. Cook mixture in microwave on high 1 minute at a time to make sure it does not overcook.  It should take about 2-2 1/2 minutes.
  4. Enjoy warm!
Notes:
*I rarely have buttermilk on hand.  I simply mix some vinegar with my milk.  In this case, I put the tiniest splash of vinegar in my 1 tbs. measuring spoon then filled it the rest of the way with almond milk.  I let that sit while I combined the rest of the ingredients.  Then I added it in at the end just before stirring and nuking.

**If you don't have an egg yolk handy or you are worried about the safety of eating the egg when it is only nuked for a short period in the microwave, try replacing it with 1 tbs. oil or extra applesauce (if you would also like to reduce the fat).

No comments:

Post a Comment