Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Chocolate Coconut Fudge Cake

For a recent girls' night, I brought this chocolate coconut fudge cake.  It is chocolatey and fudge-y.  What's not to like?  And I didn't feel guilty about enjoying the leftovers for an after dinner treat.

This cake uses 3 ingredients that I always have on hand:  bananas, cocoa powder, and salt.  The coconut butter, however, is a different story.  The stuff is expensive!  I kept looking at it, but I could never bring myself to buy it.  Instead, I bought some unsweetened coconut flakes to use in making my own coconut butter.  I ordered mine online then found some in my local Walmart the very next day.  Oh well!

Coconut butter is made the same way nut butters are made.  You put a bunch of unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds in a food processor and blend away, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides.  The coconut butter took longer to process than nut butters and required much more scraping, but it finally got very smooth and liquid like.  Once it's finished, you pour it into a jar and keep it in the panty.  It will get hard (as in I had to warm it up in the microwave before measuring out a cup to use in this recipe), but that is why it works well to hold the shape of this cake.  Warning:  I used nearly all of the coconut butter that I made from a 12 oz. bag of coconut flakes in this recipe.
Chocolate Coconut Fudge Cake
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
Serving Size:  1 Slice
Servings: 8  *  Calories: 254  *  Carbs: 25g  *  Fat: 22g  *   Protein: 4g  *  Fiber: 8g  *  Sugar: 10g

Ingredients:
4 very ripe bananas
1 cup coconut butter
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together in a food processor.
  2. Once smooth, pour into a cake pan (8 or 9 inch).  Smooth the top.
  3. Let harden in the refrigerator overnight or freezer for a couple of hours.
  4. Slice and enjoy!  Be sure to defrost first if it was frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment