Sunday, November 16, 2014

Date Paste


Date Paste and I are new friends.  I think we will become great friends.  Making it was really very easy.  This "recipe" is definitely not very rigid.  You can find lots of other instructions online for how to make Date Paste.  This is simply how I make mine.

I use whatever dates I can find in my local store.  I don't worry over paying more for the fancier medjool dates (that I would have to order online since I live in a small town).  It is my understanding that medjool dates are sweeter and softer dates.  The cheap dates are sweet enough, and I soak them for a long time to make up for the fact that they are not as soft.

Let's talk about equipment.  A food processor would be the easiest option.  Even a cheap one like mine would blend it all up nice and smooth very quickly.  But a regular blender or an immersion blender would also work.  One time, I used this funky hand mixer attachment I found in my cabinets.

Yes, one day my food processor was dirty, and I was searching for a solution that wouldn't involve washing dishes right then.  I found this little attachment, looked it up in the blender manual, and realized that it might work.  And it did!  The paste wasn't quite as smooth, but it still works just fine.  Moral of the story, is find what works because probably anything will!

Date Paste
Serving Size:  1 tbs.
Servings: varies  *  Calories: 28  *  Carbs: 7g  *  Fat: 0g  *   Protein: 0g  *  Fiber: 1g  *  Sugar: 6g

Ingredients:
1 pkg. dates
Warm water

Directions:
  1. Pack dates into a jar.  Make sure the pits are removed.
  2. Top dates with water.  Soak dates in the fridge all day or overnight.
  3. After soaking, drain water into a clean bowl.
  4. Blend dates using an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor.  Add soaking water 1 tbs. at a time until desired consistency is reached.  For one 8 oz. package of dates, I added in about 8 tbs. of water.
  5. Cover and store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment