Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chocolate Banana Frosting


I needed a frosting recipe in my repertoire.

My boys eat either my Banana Donuts or waffles for breakfast.  They usually want something on top.  The waffles started with syrup.  Then I moved to chocolate peanut butters that I would buy at the store.  Then I tried plain peanut butter.  One enjoyed that, the other not so much.  So I knew I had to come up with my own chocolate peanut butter that would carry less sugar than the store-bought variety.

My search for inspiration started on Pinterest and led me to Chocolate Covered Katie (a favorite blog of mine).  She had a chocolate banana peanut butter that looked promising.  With just a little tweaking, it had the flavor we wanted and a bit more of a frosting consistency.

I used Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter as my base.  I would love to make my own peanut butter, but I need to get a new food processor before I take on that challenge.  Until then, this is my favorite peanut butter because it has no sugar added.  I was disappointed with it when I first opened it because of the massive amount of oil on top.  But now I keep it upside down in my fridge.  I have had no more problems with its consistency, and it spreads easily.

Chocolate Banana Frosting
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie 
Serving Size:  1 Tbs.
Servings: 10  *  Calories: 55  *  Carbs: 4g  *  Fat: 3g  *   Protein: 2g  *  Fiber: 1g  *  Sugar: 2g

Ingredients:
4 Tbs. peanut butter
1 ripe banana
2 Tbs. cocoa powder

Directions:
  1. Mash up banana.  You can use a fork or a small food processor.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
  3. Keep refrigerated.  Enjoy on donuts, treats, fruits, veggies, or a spoon.  Basically, I love it on everything!
Note:  I like to "melt" my banana just a bit by microwaving it for about 30 seconds.  Maybe it's my imagination, but I think it mixes better this way.

Warning:  Don't try to warm up this frosting in the microwave to attain a more spreadable option.  It tends to dry out (as you can see in the above picture).  It still tasted good, but the texture was not what it had been.

No comments:

Post a Comment