Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Welcome

Hi, I'm Megan.  I am on a journey to discover how to combine my passion for baking with my new found distrust of sugar.  The beginning of my journey is hazy.  I had seen some things around (probably on Facebook) that indicated that sugar is addictive.  But I know that I was already wondering about the safety of sugar.  I knew my Diet Cokes were bad for me thanks to the artificial sweeteners (yet I was still drinking them).  What can I say, I'm human and I loved them.  But what about real sugar?  Does sugar harm the body?  Or is it just another food?

Then I innocently checked out a book from my local library, A Year of No Sugar by Eve Schaub.  It had a pretty cover, and the idea intrigued me.  Basically, it is about her year-long challenge to herself and her family to abstain from sugar.  It was a great read, and I highly recommend it.  That book convinced me that I needed to eliminate a lot of sugar from my life.  The first step for me was to avoid desserts except for special occasions (an idea I stole from the book and adapted to my life).  Then about a month in and after vacation, I stopped drinking my beloved Dr. Peppers and Diet Cokes.  I took it slowly because I didn't want my caffeine withdrawals to alienate my family.

Unfortunately, after vacation #2 for the summer, I seriously fell off the no sugar bandwagon.  I would do good for a couple of days, then I would give in to all sorts of sweet treats.  And the more treats I ate, the more I wanted a soda (evidence of sugar addiction right there).  After giving in to both sweets and a soda, I would sober up for my next attempt.

The cycle continued until October.  By then I had watched Fed Up.  A great documentary on the harmful effects of sugar and how it is being marketed to us and our children.  So now I am fully committed.  I threw out the last of my kids' candy.  I pledged to go the whole month without sugar (and grains, but the grains is a whole different story).  I'm not going crazy here.  There is still sugar in my Ranch dressing.  There is still sugar in barbeque sauces and ketchup.  But I am avoiding it where I can.

So here I am, starting a blog.  Why?  Because I've thought about it for a while.  I find myself writing posts in my head while baking.  I think up new dessert and food ideas constantly.  And if I come up with something yummy, I would love to be able to share it with everyone rather than keep it to myself.  So please, join me for this journey of transforming those yummy desserts scattered all over my Pinterest boards into something I am willing to feed my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment