Thursday, October 16, 2014

Caramel Frappe


Sometimes I want a caramel frappe from the famous coffee shop.  But I live nowhere near a coffee shop.  So I made my own, much healthier version.

But first, a story.  Last week, I needed this drink.  My husband was out of town, and I had just gotten the boys down to bed.  Sounds simple, but it wasn't.  My 5 year old was throwing the biggest fit I have ever seen out of him.  He was kicking and screaming and bouncing himself all over his bed.  If I remember correctly, he was upset because I wouldn't let him finish a show that I had already warned him he wouldn't have time to finish.  I apparently ruined his day.

There may have been more.  I'm not sure.  The details are a little fuzzy now because this drink did it's job to help me unwind.  It may have also helped that I doubled the entire recipe.

I give you a Caramel Frappe that is sweetened with bananas.  This is a seriously easy drink.

Made with just 5 ingredients.  It starts with one frozen banana.  I often buy too many bananas so that I can slice up the extras and put them in the freezer when they get over ripe.  This way I always have bananas on hand for anything that needs ripe bananas.  And I always slice my bananas into 10 slices.  Always.  This allows me to just reach into the bag and grab any 10 slices to know that I have approximately 1 whole banana.  Then you had 1/4 cup milk.  I use unsweetened almond milk original or vanilla flavor.  Then I flavor it up with instant coffee granules, vanilla extract, and caramel extract.  It is a great late night snack.

Does it taste just like the drink from the coffee shop?  No!  I'm not trying to claim a copycat recipe here.  But does it quench my desire for that drink?  Yes!

Caramel Frappe
Adapted from Make the Best of Everything
Nutritional Information:
Servings: 1  *  Calories: 125  *  Carbs: 28g  *  Fat: 1g  *   Protein: 2g  *  Fiber: 3g  *  Sugar: 15g

Ingredients:
1 frozen banana, cut into 1 inch slices before freezing
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp instant coffee (or 3/4 cup cold coffee)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp caramel extract

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor together.  Blend until smooth.  This shouldn't take very long because the milk helps the process a lot.  Pour into a glass and enjoy!

In the past, I have topped this with some caramel syrup because that is one of my favorite parts of the coffee house version.  But that obviously adds sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment