Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Candy Trade

I have limited my sugar intake off and on for a few months now.  Then I woke up one day and realized that if I truly believed that sugar was not good for me, I should believe that it is not good for my kids, either.

So I went to the pantry and threw out the last of a bag of Twizzlers that I had been slowly giving out in lunch boxes.  And later that day I had a discussion with my husband about what to do about Halloween candy.

Normally we do Trunk-or-Treating at our church.  I wasn't big on it at first because I didn't want to seem like that family that doesn't really "do" Halloween.  But we helped out when the kids were too little to trick or treat, and now it is just more convenient to not go house to house.  And the kids don't now the difference.  But this year, there is no Trunk-or-Treating to attend.  So do we really go collecting candy door to door?  And then what do we do with it?  I don't really want the kids eating all that candy from Halloween until Christmas.

My husband pitched the idea of doing something different with the boys on Halloween night instead of trick or treating.  We tossed around some different ideas and finally landed on one that the boys are pretty excited about.  On Halloween, they will put on their Halloween costumes and go with us to a restaurant of their choosing.  No McD allowed!  I want the meal to take up a significant portion of the night and to feel like a special treat.  Right now, they want to go to a restaurant where they get these cool light up cups.  We may even get dessert.  Yes, it will have sugar; but sugar is okay as a special treat.

I pitched the idea of doing our own Candy Trade.  A candy trade is where kids trade in their candy for money.  I got the idea when I heard about dentists in some towns doing it.  Why not do that ourselves?  We agreed on a price of 10 cents per candy (because without trick or treating, they won't get that much candy).  So we sat the boys down and told them that, if they wanted, they could trade in their candy to Mommy and Daddy.

The reaction?  Great!  Our oldest is excited and has already traded in 2 pieces of candy that he got from school.  Our youngest (who is only 3) doesn't really get it yet.  He was given a Kit Kat one day, and I asked if he would like to trade it in for 10 cents.  He said, "No, I like candy."  That's fine.  To each his own.  I'm hoping he will at least trade in some candy if he ends up with more than 1 piece at a time.

So there you have it, our first family tradition that is all our own and not borrowed from our past.  We are super excited!

What are your plans for Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment