Sunday, October 26, 2014

Banana Donuts


My boys love donuts.  They come by it honestly because I love donuts.  I have used donuts as both a special treat and a bribe in my house.  For my oldest boy's last birthday, I made him Funfetti birthday donuts that spelled out "Happy Birthday."  It was a huge hit!

But I knew that I needed to make a healthier donut for my kids to eat.  Healthier than the Funfetti ones, healthier than store bought, and certainly healthier than the donut shop.

Enter the no sugar added Banana Donuts.  These donuts are sweetened with a 1 oz. box of raisins and 5 bananas.

Very ripe bananas work best.  If you don't have any ripe bananas, there is no need to fear.  Spread the bananas on a foil lined baking sheet, and bake them in a 400F oven for at least 20 minutes. My bananas were good and black at that point, but I have also seen cooking times of 40-60 minutes.  Be sure to unwrap the bananas over your food processor so you don't lose any of the sweet banana juice that will come out.

To make donuts, transfer the dough in batches to a plastic bag, cut a good size hole in one corner, and pipe the dough onto baking sheet or pan.  You can use a greased donut pan, but I do not own one.  I use a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.  I love my baking mats.  I got them for my birthday, and they make clean up such a breeze!  With this method, I can make whatever shape desired.  I tend to do letters and shapes because that is what my kids enjoy.  If you want thicker donuts, you can always double pipe them.  That is when you pipe more batter right on top of your original donut shapes.

Banana Donuts
Adapted from Housewife How-Tos
Nutritional Information:
Serving Size:  1 donut
Servings: 36  *  Calories: 69  *  Carbs: 10g  *  Fat: 3g  *   Protein: 2g  *  Fiber: 1g  *  Sugar: 3g

Ingredients:
1 oz. raisins
5 ripe bananas
2 cups flour (white or whole wheat or mix)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbs. oil
4 tbs. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Soak 1 oz. raisins in warm water overnight to rehydrate them.
  2. When ready to prepare donuts, preheat oven to 350F.
  3. Grease a donut pan or line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat.
  4. Blend drained raisins in a food processor.
  5. Add the 5 bananas to the raisins and process until pureed.
  6. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Set aside.
  7. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 1 stick butter, 2 tsp. baking powder, 2 tbs. oil, and 4 tbs. water until fluffy.
  8. Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the stand mixer and combine.
  9. Add the banana/raisin mixture to the stand mixer.  This mixture will smell sickeningly sweet.  Mix until well-combined.
  10. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Stop mixing when all ingredients are incorporated.
  11. Scoop batter into a plastic bag.  Cut a large hole in the corner.  Pipe batter onto donut pan or cookie sheet.  You can double pipe the donuts if you would like them to be thicker.
  12. Bake in the preheated 350F oven for 15-20 minutes.  Double piped donuts will take 20-25 minutes.
  13. Allow donuts to cool 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
  14. Optional:  "Frost" the donuts with peanut butter or a no sugar added frosting before enjoying.  This is how my boys request their donuts.  Frosting recipe coming soon!

Note:  This makes so many donuts that I freeze about half of them.  The other half I keep in the fridge.  My kids eat these every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment